Sunday, January 22, 2017

Nintendo's Big Switch

While Nintendo's latest console, the Switch, has been  divisive, I am certainly excited for it. Honestly, I was going to go out and pre-order one the day after the event, regardless of what was shown. And while the launch lineup leaves something to be desired, there's at least one game we are ALL looking forward too: 1-2 Switch. Right? Oh, and there's that new Zelda game, I guess.

Seriously though, until they announced the release date for Breath of the Wild, I was disappointed in my choices at launch. I'm looking forward to Bomberman R, but it's Bomberman. I know what I'm getting. A new Zelda is enough to sell a console at launch and keep people entertained until Nintendo's next big release. And what a game to launch with. Breath of the Wild looks amazing, even by Zelda's already high standards. And that trailer was so, so good. So, now that we know more about the Switch, here are the three things I'm most excited for:

1. Games: Nintendo knows their biggest mistake with the Wii U was lack of consistent releases (along with poor marketing). So, Nintendo showed off games that will release throughout the year, hoping that there won't be months of nothingness between games. In 2017 alone, we have Zelda, Splatoon 2, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, the thirteenth  release of Skyrim and Super Mario Odyssey. While the beginning of the Super Mario Odyssey was jarring, I can't wait for the game. It looks like it combines the best parts of Super Mario 64, Galaxy, Sunshine and 3D World.

2. Portability (kind of): Realistically, I don't see myself taking the Switch on a plane ride or a long car ride or...are trains even around anymore? If they are, I won't be on one with a Switch. The 2-6 hours of battery life are not very good (see: bad), but everywhere I envision myself taking one has outlets, so I don't see it as an issue. I can't wait to take it to someone's house and throw down on some Bomberman or Mario Kart. Having two controllers that can act as one is so unique that I think I only pre-ordered the system because of it. Speaking of the controllers...

3. Controllers: I love the Joy-Cons. I think separately they may be a little small, but the shoulder button expansion and strap seems to alleviate that issue. I don't like the way the Joy-Con controller looks, but if it works fine, I won't care. Having approximately 84,523 ways to use the controllers is awesome and is a big reason I can't wait to take the system with me wherever I go.

Of course it's not all great. That battery life is weak and I don't know how many people are going to be willing to pay for Nintendo's online services (which would hurt a game like Splatoon 2), but I'm more excited for the Switch than I ever was for the Wii U.

No comments:

Post a Comment