Monday, May 15, 2017

Living on a Prey-er

Prey came out. Lost in all of the talk about Prey's publisher-imposed-late-reviews is the fact that Prey is a really good game. It reminds me a lot of games I already love.

It's got the atmosphere and tense gameplay of one of my favorite games ever--Alien: Isolation. Much like BioShock, it's setting is deep (Get it? Because BioShock is underwater? Deep? Deep!) and full of interesting lore to find out.

It's also similar to Dishonored in that each area and story mission can be completed in a number of different ways. Also, the GLOO Gun is an awesome weapon--it's basically a freeze ray. I was a big fan of the first Prey and I wasn't too fond of what the sequel initially looked like, but I'm glad they managed to reboot it all, and the result is pretty great.

The game's got a lot more RPG elements than I initially thought, too. It has side quests and the map is one giant open space station. You can explore the exterior of the station as well and relive the sickness you felt when watching the movie Gravity.

Walking around not knowing what's an enemy hasn't gotten old yet, and it keeps the game tense.

My one major complaint in the game: it practically discourages you from getting the game's coolest abilities, like turning into a mug. Yes, turning into a mug is a cool thing and probably the highlight of experience life so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment