Thursday, October 26, 2017

So Many Games, So Little Time

October 27 is a ridiculous day for video games. Sometimes, entire months go by without a major release, but at some point this year, Nintendo, Ubisoft and Bethesda all got together and said, "Let's release our big seller on the same day!" Dumb idea. Not just dumb because it'll cost me an arm and a leg, but dumb because (at least) one of these poor games is going to be forgotten because of volume of releases. Let's take a look at all three:

Super Mario Odyssey
Not going to be forgotten. Reviews came out today and they are...uh...pretty good (see: nearly perfect). This is the one I'm definitely most excited for. It's Mario, but the new capture mechanic looks like a fun new twist on the formula. Also, it looks to sort of revolutionize the series, much like Nintendo did earlier with Breath of the Wild. That game turned out all right.

Assassin's Creed Origins
Never thought I'd say it, but I'm totally ready for a new Assassin's Creed game. I've played every game in the series, and like everyone else, I was getting burned out. The formula got too stale, so the new RPG mechanics and year off have me excited for this series fr the first time in a long time. The revamped combat system also means that when I have to fight people, it won't be mindlessly countering for instant kills, so that's already an improvement.

Wolfenstein: The New Colossus
Wolfenstein: The New Order and Wolfenstein: The Old Blood were great games, and The New Colossus looks no different. They are so over-the-top and really, who doesn't like killing Nazis? Taking the war to a Nazi-controlled America is a cool new way to allow us us to shoot Nazis. Also, it's one of a few modern games to let you duel wield weapons to mow down Nazis. Did I mention I don't like Nazis?

I know I complained about too may games, but really, having so many games come out at once is awesome. I'll always find the time to play great games, but there's just no way that all three games are going to kill it in sales, so some publisher might get angry. Hopefully it's a lesson to them to space these thins out a little better. For everyone's sake.




No comments:

Post a Comment